Assistant Professor, Grade-I
National Institute of Technology (NIT) Silchar
Department of Electronics and Communications Engineering
Silchar, Assam, 788010, India
Date of Joining: 06/06/2018
Academic Experience: 09+ years
Industry Experience: 02+ years
Personal Webpage: http://ec.nits.ac.in/prabina/
- Ph.D.: Indian Institute of Technology Patna, Patna, India, 2017
- M.Tech.: Biju Patnaik University of Technology Rourkela, Rourkela, India, 2012
- B.Tech.: Biju Patnaik University of Technology Rourkela, Rourkela, India, 2007
- July 2022 – Till date: Assistant Professor Grade-I, National Institute of Technology (NIT) Silchar, Assam, 788010, India
- June 2018 – July 2022: Assistant Professor Grade-II, National Institute of Technology (NIT) Silchar, Assam, 788010, India
- February 2017 – May 2018: Assistant Professor, Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology deemed to be University, Bhubaneswar, Odisha, 751024, India
- April 2010 – July 2013: Assistant Professor, National Institute of Science Technology (NIST), Berhampur, Odisha, 788010, India
- August 2007 – March 2010: Lead Engineer, HCL Technologies Ltd., Noida, Uttar Pradesh, India
RESEARCH INTERESTS AND SPECIALIZATION
- Wireless Communications
- MIMO/Massive MIMO Communications
- Smart Grid Communications
- Soft Computing
- Antenna/Rectenna Design for Wireless Communications
- Applications of Machine Learning for Wireless Communications
Dr. Prabina Pattanayak obtained his Bachelor of Technology from Biju Patnaik University of Technology in 2007. He obtained his Masters of Technology from Biju Patnaik University of Technology in 2007 in 2012 and Ph.D. from Indian Institute of Technology Patna in 2017. He joined National Institute of Technology (NIT) Silchar on 6th June 20218. Prior to this he served Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology deemed to be university as Assistant Professor during 14th February 2017 to 31st May 2018. He also served National Institute of Science & Technology during April 2010 to June 2013. He has also around three years of industrial experience as Lead Engineer in HCL Technologies Ltd. during August 2007 to April 2010. He is a fellow of the IETE, a Senior Member of IEEE. He is the Gold Medal winner for M.Tech degree. He had also received the High Value PhD Fellowship during his PhD tenure. He has received the Best Poster award in Research Scholar Day 2016 at IIT Patna. He has received Best Paper award in the IEEE International Conference ACTS 2020. He is a Fellow of the IETE, India. He is a Senior Member of IEEE. He is a member of the IEEE Communications Society and the IEEE Vehicular Technology Society. His research interests are Wireless Communications, MIMO/Massive MIMO Communications, Smart Grid Communications, Soft Computing, Antenna/Rectenna Design for Wireless Communications, Applications of Machine Learning for Wireless Communications.
- Development of Efficient Joint Antenna and User Scheduling Schemes for Massive MIMO Limited Feedback Broadcast Channels for 5G and Beyond Communication Systems, MeitY India, Rs. 16,48,900.00, January 2021 to January 2024, Role: Chief Investigator.
- Quantum machine learning for Natural Language Processing Applications, MeitY India, $28,500.00, March 2021 to March 2023, Role: Co Investigator.
- Prabina Pattanayak, Sudarsan Sahoo, Kedar Nath Das, Niranjan Sahoo, Jupitara Hazarika, Anup Kumar Sharma, Debasish Nath, and Moirangthem James Singh, “A SYSTEM FOR DIAGNOSING THE COGNITIVE EFFECTS OF TELE-SERIES ON THE HUMAN BRAIN USING DENOISED EEG SIGNALS”, Agency, March 17, 2022, German Patent.
- Prabina Pattanayak, Om Prakash, Phool Singh Chauhan, Matam Mohan Babu, Sudarsan Sahoo, Vipin Chandra Pal, and Anup Kumar Sharma, “A WIRELESS COMMUNICATION SYSTEM FOR THE MINING ENVIRONMENT”, February 24, 2022, German Patent.
- Prabina Pattanayak, Om Prakash, Sajal Kumar Das, Saumya Das, Sudarsan Sahoo, Prashant Kumar, and Amrita Rai, “A MODEM SYSTEM FOR USER DEVICES THAT ENABLES HIGHER THROUGHPUT AT LOWER POWER”, February 24, 2022, German Patent.
- Prabina Pattanayak and Preetam Kumar, “A METHOD OF MODIFIED GENETIC OPTIMIZATION TECHNIQUE FOR MIMO BROADCAST SCHEDULING”, March 30, 2022, South African Patent.
- Prabina Pattanayak and Preetam Kumar, “A METHOD OF MULTI-BIT QUANTIZED FEEDBACK MIMO SCHEDULING FOR HETEROGENEOUS BROADCAST NETWORK”, March 30, 2022, South African Patent.
- Prabina Pattanayak, Sudarsan Sahoo, and Niranjan Sahoo, “A DEVICE AND A METHOD FOR DETECTING SEVERE ACUTE RESPIRATORY SYNDROME (SARS) CORONAVIRUS BASED ON FILTERED COUGH SOUND SIGNALS”, May 25, 2022, South African Patent.
- Prabina Pattanayak and Abhinaba Dey, “A SYSTEM AND A METHOD FOR PILOT CONTAMINATION MITIGATION IN MASSIVE MIMO NETWORK”, November 30, 2022, South African Patent.
- VSV Sandeep, D. S. Gurjar, S. Yadav, P. Pattanayak, Y. Jiang, “On the Performance Analysis of V2N Mixed RF and Hybrid FSO/RF Communication System,” IEEE Photonics Journal .
- A. Dhar, P. Pattanayak, A. Kumar, D. S. Gurjar, B. Kumar, “Design of a hexagonal slot rectenna for RF energy harvesting in Wi‐Fi/WLAN applications,” Wiley International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, vol. 32(12), e23512, October 2022.
- A. Kumar, P. Pattanayak, and A. Dhar, “Compact Triple Band Microstrip Patch Antenna for Satellite and C/X/K/Ku Bands Applications,” Springer Wireless Personal Communications, 2022.
- J. Mohanty, P. Pattanayak, A. Nandi, V. K. Trivedi, and F. A. Talukdar, “Joint Antenna and User scheduling for MU MIMO Systems Using Efficient Binary Artificial Bee Colony Algorithm,” Taylor & Francis IETE Journal of Research, Feb. 2022, DOI:10.1080/03772063.2022.2048703.
- A. Dey and P. Pattanayak, “Inter-Intra Cellular Pilot Contamination Mitigation for Heterogeneous Massive MIMO Cellular Systems,” Springer Telecommunication Systems, Feb. 2022.
- P. Pattanayak, “Proficient User and Antenna Selection Strategies for Multi-carrier MIMO Communications Using Adjacent Sub-Carrier Clustering,” Springer Wireless Personal Communications, Feb. 2022, DOI :10.1007/s11277-022-09598-x.
- J. Mohanty, P. Pattanayak, A. Nandi, K. L. Baishnab, and F. A. Talukdar, “Binary Flower Pollination Algorithm Based User Scheduling for Multiuser MIMO Systems,” Turkish Journal of Electrical Engineering & Computer Sciences, Dec. 2021, doi:10.3906/elk-2109-21.
- J. Mohanty, P. Pattanayak, A. Nandi, K. L. Baishnab, D. S. Gurjar, and M. Mandloi, “MIMO broadcast scheduling using binary spider monkey optimization algorithm,” Wiley Int J Commun Syst., vol. 34, Pages 26-17, Aug. 2021, DOI:.org/10.1002/dac.4975
- A. Dey and P. Pattanayak, “Pilot Decontamination with Pilot Scheduling for 5G Communications,” Springer Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering, June 2021, DOI:.org/10.1007/s13369-021-05875-2.
- P. Pattanayak, D. Sarmah, S. Mishra, and A. Panda, “Computationally efficient scheduling methods for MIMO uplink networks,” Springer Soft Computing, vol. 25, pp. 1-18, Jan. 2021, DOI: .org/10.1007/s00500-021-05946-4
- A. V. Jha, B. Appasani, A. N. Ghazali, P. Pattanayak, D. S. Gurjar, E. Kabalci, and D. K. Mohanta, “Smart Grid Cyber-Physical Systems: Communication Technologies, Standards and Challenges,” Springer Wireless Networks, vol. 27 (4), pp. 2595-2613, Feb. 2021, DOI:.org/10.1007/s11276-021-02579-1.
- A. Dey, P. Pattanayak, and D. S. Gurjar, “Arithmetic/Geometric Progression Based Pilot Allocation with Antenna Scheduling for Massive MIMO Cellular Systems,” IEEE Networking Letters, vol. 3, pp. 1-4, March 2021, DOI: 10.1109/LNET.2021.3054644.
- A. Dey, P. Pattanayak, D. S. Gurjar, and P. Kumar, “Efficient pilot reuse algorithms for massive MIMO cellular system,” Wiley International Journal of Communication Systems, pp. 1-18, July 2020, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/dac.4682
- P. Pattanayak, D. Sarmah, and P. Paritosh, “Low complexity-based scheduling methods for multi-user MIMO systems,” Elsevier Physical Communication, vol. 43, pp. 1-8, Aug. 2020, DOI: 10.1016/j.phycom.2020.101192
- P. Pattanayak, “Subcarrier Wise Scheduling Methods for Multi antenna and Multi carrier Systems,” Springer Wireless Personal Communications, vol. 114, pp. 1485–1500, May 2020, DOI:.org/10.1007/s11277-020-07434-8.
- A. Sarthi, D. S. Gurjar, C. Sai, P. Pattanayak, and A. Bhardwaj, “Performance Impact of Hardware Impairments on Wireless Powered Cognitive Radio Sensor Networks,” IEEE Sensor Letters, vol. 4. no. 6, June 2020, DOI:10.1109/LSENS.2020.2994595.
- D. S. Gurjar, Ha H. Nguyen, and P. Pattanayak, “Performance of Wireless Powered Cognitive Radio Sensor Networks with Nonlinear Energy Harvester,”, IEEE Sensors Letters, vol. 3, May 2019, DOI: doi:10.1109/LSENS.2019.2928024
- P. Pattanayak and P. Kumar, “An Efficient Scheduling Scheme for MIMO-OFDM Broadcast Networks,” Elsevier AEU, vol. 101, pp. 15-16, March 2019, DOI: doi.org/10.1016/j.aeue.2019.01.017
- P. Pattanayak and P. Kumar, “Combined User and Antenna Scheduling Scheme for MIMO-OFDM Networks,” Springer Telecommunication Systems, vol. 70, pp. 3-12, April 2018, DOI: 10.1007/s11235-018-0462-0.
- P. Pattanayak and P. Kumar, “Quantized feedback scheduling for MIMO-OFDM broadcast networks with subcarrier clustering”, Elsevier Ad Hoc Networks, vol. 65, pp. 26-37, Oct.2017, DOI: .org/10.1016/j.adhoc.2017.07.007
- P. Pattanayak and P. Kumar, “Quantized feedback MIMO scheduling for heterogeneous broadcast networks,” Springer Wireless Networks, vol. 23, pp. 1449-1466, Feb.2017, DOI: 10.1007/s11276-016-1232-0
- P. Pattanayak and P. Kumar, “A computationally efficient genetic algorithm for MIMO broadcast scheduling,” Elsevier Applied Soft Computing, vol. 37, pp. 545–553, Aug. 2015, DOI: 10.1016/j.asoc.2015.08.053.
- P. Pattanayak, K. M. Roy, and P. Kumar, “Analysis of a New MIMO Broadcast Channel Limited Feedback Scheduling Algorithm with User Grouping,” Springer Wireless Personal Communications, vol. 80, pp. 1079–1094, Sep. 2015, DOI: 10.1007/s11277-014-2072-9.
- A. Dey and P. Pattanayak, “Efficient Pilot Contamination Mitigation Algorithmns for User Fairness Enhancement in Heterogeneous Massive MIMO Cellular Systems,” in Proc. IEEE SILCON 2022, 4-6 November, 2022, pp. 1-6.
- V. Sandeep, D. S. Gurjar, Y. Jiang, S. Yadav, and P. Pattanayak, “Performance of V2N Communication System with Mixed RF and Hybrid FSO/RF Transmissions,” in Proc. IEEE 95th Vehicular Technology Conference:(VTC2022-Spring), 2022, pp. 1-6.
- A. Dhar, D. Dhar, D. S. Gurjar, and P. Pattanayak, “IoT Based Methodology for Making Native Electrical Appliances Smart using MQTT Protocol,” in Proc. Advanced Communication Technologies and Signal Processing (ACTS-2021), Rourkela, India, Dec. 2021, pp. 1-6.
- O. Prakash, A. Rai, P. Pattanayak, M. K. Ojha, and S. Kumar, “Modified PSO Algorithm to Solve Economic Load Dispatch Problem in Electrical power system Considering Valve – Point Effects,” in Proc. 2nd International Conference on Microelectronics, Communication Systems, Machine Learning & Internet of Things (MCMI-2021), Ranchi, India, 23rd to 24th October 2021.
- O. Prakash and P. Pattanayak, “Design of U-Shaped MIMO Antenna for Wi-Fi application,” in Proc. International conference on Modern Electronics Devices and Communication systems (MEDCOM-2021), Greater Noida, India, 29th – 31st October 2021.
- S. K. Mishra, P. Pattanayak, and A. K. Panda, “Combined Transmit Antenna Selection and User Scheduling in a Massive MIMO Broadcast System,” in Proc. Advanced Communication Technologies and Signal Processing (ACTS-2020), Dec. 2020, pp. 1-6, Silchar, India, DOI: 10.1109/ACTS49415.2020.9350421.
- M. Mandloi, S. Sharma, P. Pattanayak, and D. S. Gurjar, “Low-Complexity Symbol Detection for Index Modulated Massive MIMO Systems,” in Proc. Advanced Communication Technologies and Signal Processing (ACTS-2020), Dec. 2020, pp. 1-6, Silchar, India, DOI: 10.1109/ACTS49415.2020.9350487.
- P. Pattanayak, “Two-Bit SINR Quantization Based Scheduling Scheme for MIMO Communications,” in Proc. Advanced Communication Technologies and Signal Processing (ACTS-2020), Dec. 2020, pp. 1-6, Silchar, India, DOI: 10.1109/ACTS49415.2020.9350505.
- P. Pattanayak, V. K. Trivedi, S. Chakraborty, and P. Kumar, “BER Performance of Multi User Scheduling for MIMO-STBC and MIMO-OFDM Broadcast Network with Imperfect CSI,” in Proc. 4th IEEE International conference on Signal Processing and Integrated Networks (SPIN-2017), Feb.2017, pp. 2-3, AMITY University, Delhi. DOI:10.1109/SPIN.2017.8049917
- P. Pattanayak and P. Kumar “Limited Feedback Scheduling For MIMO-OFDM Broadcast Network,” in Proc. 18th IEEE International symposium on Wireless Personal Multimedia Communications (WPMC-2018), Dec.2015, pp. 13 – 16 Hyderabad, India.
- P. Pattanayak, D. Pandey, and P. Kumar “Error Rate Performance for Multiuser scheduling in MIMO downlink system with imperfect CSI,” in Proc. the 5th IEEE International conference on Wireless Communications, Vehicular Technology, Information Theory, Aerospace & Electronics Systems (WVITAE-2018), Feb.2015, pp. 13 – 16. Hyderabad, India.
- P. Pattanayak and P. Kumar, “SINR Based Limited Feedback Scheduling For MIMO-OFDM Heterogeneous Broadcast Networks,” in Proc. the 22nd IEEE National Conference on Communications (NCC-2016), Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati, India, March 2016, pp. 4 – 6.
- S. K. Mishra, P. Pattanayak, and A. K. Panda, “Antenna Selection Algorithm for MIMO BC Channel Using Partial Side Information,” in Proc. IEEE Conf. Signal Processing and Real Time Operating System (SPRTOS-2011), March 2011, pp.26-27, Kanpur, India.
- M. Mandloi, D.S. Gurjar, P. Pattanayak, and H, Nguyen, “5G and Beyond Wireless Systems: PHY Layer Perspective,” Springer Series in Wireless Technology, Springer, Singapore, 2021.
- S. Mishra, A. Mahapatra, and P. Pattanayak, “Modified Grey Wolf Optimization in User Scheduling and Antenna Selection in MU-MIMO Uplink System,” Applications of Nature-inspired Computing and Optimization Techniques (ANOT 2022) Elsevier book series “Advances in Computers”, Elsevier (Chapter 14, Accepted).
- J. Mohanty and P. Pattanayak, “Spectral Efficiency Optimization by the Application of Metaheuristic Optimization Techniques,” Applications of Nature-inspired Computing and Optimization Techniques (ANOT 2022) Elsevier book series “Advances in Computers”, Elsevier (Chapter 13, Accepted).
- S. Paramita, H. N. D. Bebartta, and P. Pattanayak, “IoT based Healthcare Monitoring System using 5G communication & Machine Learning Models,” Health Informatics: A Computational Perspective in Healthcare Springer Series in Studies in Computational Intelligence, Springer, Feb.2021, pp. 159-182 (Chapter 9).
- S. Dwivedi, D. S. Gurjar, P. Pattanayak, and T. Goel, “V2X Communications: Recent Advancements and Performance Analysis,” 5G and Beyond Wireless Systems. Springer Series in Wireless Technology. Springer, Singapore, pp. 341-364. DOI.org/10.1007/978-981-15-6390-4_16, 2021 4) (Chapter 16).
- A. Dey, P. Pattanayak, and D. S. Gurjar, “Pilot Contamination in Massive MIMO Communications,” 5G and Beyond Wireless Systems. Springer Series in Wireless Technology. Springer, Singapore, Aug.2020, pp. 21-42 DOI: .org/10.1007/978-981-15-6390-4_2, 2021, (Chapter 2).
- P. Pattanayak and P Kumar, “Computationally Efficient Scheduling Schemes for Multiple Antenna Systems Using Evolutionary Algorithms and Swarm Optimization,” Wiley Evolutionary Computation in Scheduling, April 2020, pp. 105-135, DOI: .org/10.1002/9781119574293.ch5 (Chapter 5).
- Senior Member, IEEE
- IEEE Communication Society, Member
- IEEE Vehicular Communication Society, Member
- IEEE Informtaion Theory & Coding, Member
- IEEE Electron Device Society, Member
- Fellow, IETE India
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
- Distinguished Faculty in 20th Convocation at NIT Silchar (04th November 2022)
- Lifetime Fellow of IETE India (17 February, 2021)
- Elevated to Senior Member IEEE (17 August, 2020)
- High Value Ph.D. Fellowship
- Best Poster Presentation in Research Scholar’s Day 2016
- Gold Medalist in M.Tech
- Best Paper Award at ACTS 2020
- Member of T&P Committee (Since January 2023)
- Faculty In Charge T&P (Since September 2022)
- Departmental Examination Coordinator (July 2020 to February 2022)
- Member of Institute Placement Committee (Since September 2021)
- Coordinator of Departmental Industry-Institute Coordination and Cooperation Committee (IICCC) (Since February 2022)
- Member of Departmental NBA UG-Accreditation Committee (Since February 2022)
- Member of Departmental Outreach Activities Committee (Since February 2022)
Ph.D. Scholars Guided
- Dr. Abhinaba Dey (Completed)
- Dr. Jyoti Mohanty (Completed)
- Mr. Dukhishyam Sabat (Regular, MHRD fellowship,Ongoing)
- Mr. Sarfraz Alam (Regular, MHRD Fellowship, Ongoing, Co-Supervisor)
- Mr. Srinivash Roula (Part Time, Ongoing)
- Mr. Kirti Swagat Mohanty (Part Time, Ongoing)
- Mr. Sunkana Ramkrishna (Part Time, Ongoing)
- Mr. Akhilesh Kumar (Part Time, Ongoing)
M.Tech. Scholars Guided
- Mr. Abhishek Dhar, Regular, 2022, “Design of a Hexagonal Slot Rectenna for RF Energy Harvesting inWi-Fi/WLAN Application”, (Supervisor: Dr. Prabina Pattanayak, Co-supervisor: Dr. Devendra Singh Gurjar), 16-May-2022.
- Mr. Vavilapalli Satya Venkata Sandeep, 2022, “Mixed RF and Hybrid FSO/RF Communication for V2N System”, (Co-supervisor: Dr. Prabina Pattanayak, Supervisor: Dr. Devendra Singh Gurjar), 16-May-2022.
- Ms. Ananya Das, Regular, 2021, “Efficient Pilot Scheduling Scheme for Massive MIMO Systems”, (Supervisor: Dr. Prabina Pattanayak, Co-supervisor: Prof. Fazal Ahmed Talukdar), 12-May-2021
- Ms. Era, Regular, 2020, “Optimization of Multi user and Antenna Selection through Soft Computing technique”, (Supervisor: Dr. Prabina Pattanayak, Co-supervisor: Dr. Wasim Arif), 29-May-2020
- Mr. Subhra Sankha Sarma, Mr. Ran Sher, 2022, “Face mask detection by training neural networks using machine learning”.
- Mr. Motukoori Sai Murari, Mr. Sudeep Sachin Ormalia, 2022, “Identification of text similarity using SVD-Cosine similarity measures”.
- Mr. M.N.Satwick Gupta, Mr. Rahul Deb, 2021, “Sentimental Analysis Through Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing”.
- Mr. Pankaj Gautam and Ms. Debika Kuli, 2021, “Pilot contamination reduction in TDD-based massive MIMO systems”.
- Mr. Sourajyoti Bora, Mr. Padum Kumar Deka, and Mr. Kunam Balaram Reddy, 2021, “Reduction of Inter-cell Interference in Cellular Network Interface”.
- Mr. Nayan Paul, Mr. Abhimanyu Singh, 2021, “Analyzing soil data to predict crop, recommend fertilizer and predict erodability of soil”.
- Mr. N. Surya Sumanth and Mr. K. Bala Mahendra Chowdary, 2020, “Computationally Efficient Scheduling Schemes for Multi Antenna Systems”.
- Mr. Dhritishman Sarmah, 2020, “Scheduling Scheme for Multi-Antenna Systems using Soft Computing Techniques”.
- Mr. Neelkamal Semwal, Mr. Sajal Gupta, Mr. Bhanu Prakash, 2019, “Wireless Energy Harvesting Using Reconfigurable Rectenna”, (Co-Supervisor, Supervisor: Dr. Wasim Arif).
- Mr. Akshay Vishwas Dahatonde, Mr. Hirak Jyoti Dutta, and Mr. Anjon Roy, 2019, “Study and Design of Hashing Based IOT Security System”, (Co-Supervisor, Supervisor: Dr. Wasim Arif).
- “Recent Trends in Wireless Communications: Challenges and Opportunities” (ReTWiC 2018) during December 03 – 07, 2018, TEQIP III sponsored, NIT Silchar, Role: Coordinator.
- “Engineering Applications of Optimization Techniques” (EAOT 2020) during 05-09 Septmber, 2020, TEQIP III sponsored, NIT Silchar, Role: Coordinator.
- “Optimization and Intelligence in Electronics Engineering Applications” (IEEE OIEEA-2021) during 26-30 July, 2021, IEEE sponsored, NIT Silchar, Role: Coordinator.
- IEEE Advanced Communication Technologies and Signal Processing (IEEE ACTS-2020), 04-06 Dec 2020, Organized by NIT Silchar, Role: Organizing Secretary.
- IEEE Advanced Communication Technologies and Signal Processing (IEEE ACTS-2021), 15-17 Dec 2021, Jointly organized by NIT Silchar and NIT Rourkela, Role: Organizing Secretary.