Why ECE@NIT Silchar
Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering offers two years M.Tech. programs in i) Microelectronics and VLSI Design since 2007, and ii) Communication and Signal Processing Engineering since 2013. The intake capacity of both programs is 25. The admission into the program is conducted through Centralized Counselling for M.Tech (CCMT established by the Ministry of Education, GoI) based on their performance in the GATE examination. All the students entered into the M.Tech programs of the department are GATE Qualified. Both the PG Programs (M.Tech. in ME&VLSID and M.Tech. in CSPE) are NBA accredited. The department has active collaborations with some prominent industries like Intel, NXP, ST Microelectronics, Qualcomm, etc., for joint research, internship, and placement.
The full-fledged Ph.D. program in the department started dating back to 2004. Since 2004, the department has produced many Ph.D. students (more than 60 have been awarded) who successfully work in various academic institutes and industries. The department offers Ph.D. in diverse Electronics and Communication Engineering areas broadly in Microelectronics, VLSI, Devices, Nanotechnology, MEMS, Wireless Communication, MIMO, Speech and Image Signal Processing, Antenna Technologies, Medical Imaging, etc.
The department proposes introducing a skill-based certification program in VLSI, Speech Processing, IoT, Data Science, 5G, and B5G, Cyber-Physical Systems, and Smart Antenna Systems. The department is proactively working with the Training and Placement Section of the institute and the Alumni network of the institute to enhance the Placement record of PG/Ph.D. students. We are actively working to enhance Industry Collaboration for Joint projects, Internships, pre-placement, and placement opportunities. Department also proposes to encourage Startups as the allied thrust areas offer plenty of opportunities for innovation and entrepreneurship activities. Department proposes to model its TLR environment in the light of NEP-20. More stress will be given on interdisciplinary courses without compromising ECE basic.
Plan for next five years
- A cluster of experimental facilities for UG/PG/Ph.D. students.
- Extensive research and innovation support to the existing UG and PG programs.
- Opening of New M.Tech program in the department.
- NBA accreditation of the existing UG and PG programs.
- Enhancing the research facilities provided to the Ph.D. scholars to a great extent.
- Enhancing international/national sponsored research grants
- Collaboration with academia and industry for curriculum and research infrastructure development.
- Consultancy, Technology Transfer and Revenue generation Opportunity
- Collaboration and Multidisciplinary research.